Wednesday, December 30, 2009

The First Rule About Fat Club Is...........

It is the week after Christmas and we are fast approaching the new year. I have yet to hear fom my Doctor, so I suppose I will have to take iniative and call him.No matter what, January 4th is kick off time so I am still enjoying Holiday treats and meals but find myself thinking a salad would be good right about now.

One thing I have found through my quest for the holy grail of health is about 90% of the time ,I actually enjoy eating healthy. I like low fat yogurt with a sunflower seeds on top,oatmeal,salad,lean meat and fruit,green tea and water can be pretty good and your body and mind seem to function must better.I have trained my mind ,tastebuds and tummy to not gorge, to stop before feeling too full,chew slower, put my fork down between meals,distract myself when I know I am really not hungry.I know what you are thinking...then why are you fat? Same question I ask myself frequently, especially if you ever watch shows about obese people and it highlights what they consume in a day or week . I am always astounded at the huge amounts of fat and sugar and bread and find myself shouting at the TV , no fair , I don't eat like that! No wonder from the time they cut their calories the pounds fall off.

Now exercise is a horse of a different color. Between the sleep apnea and some health ailments I deal with ,finding the energy to invest in working out can be difficult. I know it will make a difference though and once I get back to it on a regular basis it will be easier.

Not to long ago a friend of mine was getting frustrated about all the thoughtless comments she receives when she and her rather large family of six children go out. I realized I am guilty of making some of those comments myself, so it made me think of thoughtless comments people may make to fat people....

1.You have a great personality.
2.She has a such a pretty face.
3.You're going to eat that?
4.You don't carry youself like an overweight person.
5.You just need to exercise and eat less!

Now, number 5 is definitely the most irritating and it usually comes from someone who has never had weight issues or only had to take off 5 to 20 pounds.Those are the people you want to walk a mile in your shoes just for a day! While it seems so simple, lets think about this for a second, if it were that easy, very few people would have a weight problem.

Oh, I left one off, people who tell you about the latest diet when you did not ask ,or when you are asked, have you ever tried?.........Fill in the blank,Weight Watchers,Atkins,South Beach, Mayo Clinic,Counting Calories, the list is endless and makes you want to reply, Dude I am fat, not clueless,of course I have tried almost everything known to man!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe we all need to think a little before we speak. I am with you, I am fat...but, each person has an issue (or two) and I know that I could certainly be accused of not being sensitive, not understanding, not caring...and it is not because I don't. I think it is human nature to view our own stuff as important and to minimize the issues that other people have if we don't have a problem with them. Be it not understanding how some one could not want to exercise, or not quit smoking, or have 6 children, laugh too loud, not work or work too much... OK this year I will try to be more understanding.

JAC said...

Well said,Anonymous!

Followers

About Me

My photo
I am a 40 something trying to pursue new dreams and discover what I want to be when I grow up.