Thursday, February 18, 2010

Drawing Lines

Did you ever feel pretty good about he way you looked, or an item of clothing you had on, only to glimpse in the mirror or see a photo later and grimace? I was sitting at the computer...I know, surprise, surprise, and I had a new comfy gray boyfriend t-shirt on so I felt pretty good and as my reflection stared back at me off the computer screen, I was prepared to see some chub but what I saw was LOTS of it, just hanging forward like Buddha and dripping over the sides. What could I do but let out a sigh and remind myself this is a process and I could have the most expensive designer clothes on and a pair of Spanx ,sit up a little bit straighter and then I would look and feel better(except for my gut being squeezed in)but it would still be there. I still own it and I must persevere if I want results and it may be a whole year until I am sitting without a spare tire in my reflection but to give up is not and option. I realized something a little scary... I am 42 years old and in 30 years I will be 72 that sounds like a long time to people that are already in their 60's or like a (who the heck cares?) if you are 25 but judging how I feel as of late, I just blinked and my children are grown... it makes a person wake up a little.So I guess my point is we have no time to waste in this life and what is a year in the grand scheme of things, if it means a more healthy 30-50 years of my life?

I am aware this is a spiritual journey for me too and I am learning some life lessons, there are a lot of scripture about endurance not about instant, perfect success!

I have talked about this before but do you know what's hard about a weight problem? You can't hide it ,it is out there for everyone to see, everyone who has went before you and lost weight, everyone that has never had a problem with it and thinks they know what you need to do. Please be kind to those around you that are struggling and their family. I am always amazed how many people expect my family members that are thin to give up what they like to eat. It is nice to get support and I really don't want a Big Mac pushed under my nose but this is not THIER problem I will always be around something I can't eat and I will have to learn ways to deal with it but I don't think my 90lb (soak and wet) daughter should have to eat salad and oatmeal everyday ,she has problems keeping weight on…so I get happy when I see her eat a burger and fries occasionally or ice cream straight out of the carton! My other daughter struggles as well and like me she will have to learn where to draw a line and I will offer her support by having more healthy foods around and encouragement.

I will admit though, last night at church my husband handed me a bag with 2 boxes of Girl Scout cookies and told me to pay for them, I handed him the check book told him to pay... handed the bag back to the dear sweet man in the car and said "thanks a lot!" Where upon I was informed I didn't HAVE to eat the delicious once a year treat, that he had bought them for HIMSELF! He took one look at me and asked "This will be in your blog now, won’t it?" Sometimes drawing a line can be fun!

No comments:

Followers

About Me

My photo
I am a 40 something trying to pursue new dreams and discover what I want to be when I grow up.